Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wonderful Women

"I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois, and your mother Eunice, and now, I am sure, lives in you."
(2 Timothy 1:5)

As Paul writes to encourage young Timothy, he reminds Timothy of his faithful lineage - especially his grandmother Lois. It's been said that women have been the backbone of the Christian faith since the beginning. I tend to agree. There are definitely more active women than men in my local church!

But the passage today reminded me of MY Grandma White. she grew up in Livingston, Montana. She was a nurse... she worked her garden... she could fish with the best of them... she was an artist & poet... and she loved her grandchildren! We'd drive up from Arizona every few years or so to visit them in Montana. I loved those visits! We always went to church with them, too. When I was a senior in high school, close to graduation, Grandma & Grandpa White came out to Hawaii to visit. She asked me about my plans for the future. When I told her I wanted to be a lawyer, she said, "The world needs more Christian lawyers." So true. That summer she underwent heart surgery, but did not survive the procedure. She undoubtedly would have been proud to know that I became a pastor (not that there's anything wrong with being a Christian lawyer, mind you!).

I'm grateful for her faith... a faith that was passed on to my father... and then to me. I'm grateful for the faith of my mother and my step-mother (whom I've always thought of as "mom"), and the influence both of these women have had on my life & faith. Praise God for the women in our lives.

PRAYER: Thank you, LORD, for the women you've blessed me with in my life (and faith). From my daughter Emily to Jody... to Pat & Sylvia... to Grandma White, Grandma Swanson, & Grandma Young... to all my aunties (Sally, Dina, Barbara)... to my mother-in-law, Joanne... they have all had an impact on my faith. What a blessing. AMEN.

No comments: