Thursday, September 18, 2008

Stale Sundays?

"The Lord said: Because these people draw near with their mouths and honor me with their lips, while their hearts are far from me, and their worship of me is a human commandment learned by rote; so I will again do amazing things with this people, shocking & amazing."
(Isaiah 29:13)

Isaiah is writing at a time when the people of God had slipped into passionless, perfunctory, uninspiring worship of God. They were just going through the motions. God noticed. God could tell that even though they said "the right words" (is there really such a thing in worship?), their hearts were far from God. Ouch. God decided to shake things up - "shocking and amazing" things (I don't like the sound of that).

Which brings us up to today, doesn't it? How much of our worship is "by rote"? I think this question goes far beyond whatever particular style of worship one practices (ie. traditional, blended, contemporary, etc.) - anything can become "rote" if neglected. This gets to the heart of the matter, quite literally. Where's our heart during worship? Where's MY heart during worship? As a worship leader, I'm frequently thinking "one step ahead" of whatever is happening in the service. I'm wanting to make sure everything's planned, set & ready. Hymn tempo... clarity of the projected graphics... mic levels... pacing of the service... these are just a few of the many thoughts that can race through my mind during Sunday morning worship. The danger for me, however, is missing the moment. Missing the chance to connect right then & there with the Holy One of Israel. Ouch.

PRAYER: Oh Lord, let me trust the work that was done prior to the worship service, so I can truly worship You, too! Help me to model a heart connected to the Holy. And guide my preparation, so the worship services at Aiea UMC will never becomme stale, uninspired, too predictable & rote. We want to meet You there afresh every time we gather. Thank you for your constant presence with us! AMEN.

No comments: