Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Urgent Needs

"And let people learn to devote themselves to good works in order to meet urgent needs, so that they may not be unproductive."
(Titus 3:14)

Paul, in Titus 3, reminds us that we are saved by the GRACE of God - it has nothing to do with any THING we do (ie. works, deeds, actions). It's a gift from God. But having said that, he instructs the community of faith to "devote themselves to good works." This is important, not because we "have to" in order to earn any special reward or to upgrade our "spiritual status," but simply because we've been given God's grace! As a response to that we carry out good works.

But Paul goes one step further and clarifies what kind of good works - those which "meet urgent needs." Wow. That's helpful to keep in mind. Is what I'm doing for others going to meet an urgent need? That question can help filter a lot of future actions - as I relate to my family, friends, church members, & general community. Granted, one person's idea of an "urgent need" and another's might be quite different. But I'll trust God's Spirit to help me discern that.

PRAYER: Give me eyes to see the urgent needs around me, LORD... and the courage to act, so I may not be found "unproductive." For the gift of your grace is wonderfully overwhelming! AMEN.

No comments: