Saturday, September 27, 2008

God's Tattoo

"But Zion said, 'The LORD has forsaken me, my Lord has forgotten me.' Can a nursing woman forget her nursing child, or show no compassion for the child of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. See, I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands..."
(Isaiah 49:14-16)

"I think God has forgotten me." It's a cry many of us have either said, thought or felt before... if we're being honest. When the storms of life overwhelm, it's easy to wonder if we've been abandoned by the Holy One. God knows we feel this way from time to time. So through the prophet Isaiah, God addressed this all-too-human feeling.

God responds by asking of a mom can forget the child she's nursing - as in currently nursing! Of course not!! There's a physical bond... a life-giving connection that's of vital importance to the child (not to mention the fact that a lactating woman also feels physically in her body the state of breastfeeding!). Could it be that God aches to care for us? Can any mother forget her child - a child that she gave birth to, no matter how long ago? Never having been a mother myself, I can't say for sure. But my gut response is: I DON'T THINK SO! God says, "Even if these women DID happen to forget... even if... I WILL NOT FORGET YOU!" Wow.

But God doesn't stop there. God goes on to say that he's inscribed us on the palms of his hands. So, in effect, we are God's tattoo! How cool is that!?!? WE are God's tattoo! I've never had a tattoo personally (and currently have no future plans to get one!)... but whenever I want to make sure that I don't forget something important, I frequently write it on the palms of my hands. People try to offer me paper. "No thanks," I say, "I won't lose my hand!" I know I'll see my palms frequently throughout the day and then remember whatever it was that I didn't want to forget.

God has our names tattooed on the palms of His hands. He will never forget us!

But wait... look a bit closer... are those names on his palms... is that all I see? Oh my God, no!! Those aren't names, but NAIL SCARS on his palms! Scars of love and grace. Scars that remind Him every moment of every day about me... and you... and how much he loves us both.. Wow! Just wow! I'm speechless...

No comments: