Saturday, September 6, 2008

Orgies vs. Glory

"Ephraim is joined to idols - let him alone. When their drinking is ended, they indulge in sexual orgies; they love lewdness more than their glory."
(Hosea 4:17-18)


Hosea is such a provocative book! The prophet's message from God uses the image of an unfaithful spouse to describe Israel's relationship with God. It's quite graphic in times, too! Israel is constantly "sleeping around" on her husband, God. Nevertheless, God's love is constant... and Hosea shows multiple times the redeeming power of that love. But today my heart was intrigued by these two verses from chapter 4 describing Israel (Ephraim). In their pursuit of other gods, they "love life" via excessive alcohol & sexual orgies. This should not be a surprise to us today. These two items have been popular for a long time! Alcohol & sex tend to meet immediate needs & mask pain. But the part that really floored me was this: "they love lewdness more than their glory." Wow. God's not scolding them for "being bad." God is saying that they were created for so much more! They were created to express God's glory! They were created to be amazing people... yet they've chosen the easier option: lewdness & immediate satisfaction.

Is the way I'm living truly expressing my glory to God and others? I know at times I also choose to go the "immediate satisfaction" route, though maybe not via these same vices. Nevertheless, God stands lovingly calling me back with His redeeming love. "Express your glory, Jim!" May I have the courage to do just that. AMEN.

No comments: