Monday, September 8, 2008

A Parent Remembers...

"Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk, I took them up in my arms; but they did not know that I healed them."
(Hosea 11:3)


God's words to Israel via Hosea begin in chapter 11 with a parent/child metaphor. "When Israel was a child, I loved him" says the LORD. God remembers teaching His people "how to walk"... holding them "in my arms"... even feeding them (v.3-4). Yet they were unaware of just what that early relationship brought: HEALING!

Any parent can daresay remember similar events in the lives of their children: their birth... learning to crawl, walk & run... first words... games we used to play with them... (and mothers will especially remember feeding times, I imagine!). We remember how we put them to bed when they needed rest... changed them when they were dirty... fed them when they were hungry... took them to the doctor for "well baby checkups" and immunizations... consoled them when they cried. In short, we brought health & healing to them... despite the fact they were too young to really know (& understand) what was happening.

God laments when we "can't remember" the many ways He's cared for & healed us over the years. We are (I am!) so clueless (forgetful?) sometimes. For that, O LORD, forgive me. Thank you for your love for me from the very beginning. It has truly transformed my life. Every once & a while I "get it." Today is one of those days! AMEN.

No comments: