Friday, September 5, 2008

Rubbish?

"More than that, I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Jesus Christ my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and regard them as rubbish, in order that I might gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but one that comes through faith in Christ..."
(Philippians 3:8-10)


Just a few verses before, Paul had given his brief religious bio: circumsized at 8 days old (per scripture), an Israelite of Benjamin's tribe, a Pharisee, a Persecutor of Christianity (religious zeal!), and completely righteous under the law! He was "Mr. Jewish Believer Extraordinaire." He was the cream of the crop. Now, however, he's writing to a Christian group of believers from the confines of prision, having lost all of the advantages of his religious background - and he's delighted by his present condition! Why? Because of the "surpassing value" of knowing Jesus. Period. Everything else pales in comparison. In fact, he goes as far to say everthing else is rubbish. Wow. Paul's new identity & value (standing?!) comes from faith in Christ Jesus. Period.

We still livei n a society where position, status & background play a HUGE role. But our pursuit of "bettering ourselves" is really a pursuit of rubbish, if connecting to Jesus isn't part of our endeavors. "Surpassing value" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of describing what a life lived with Christ can bring - but it's a start!

How does my assessment of my value system compare to Paul's? Is knowledge of Jesus my #1 desire? Is growing in my faith & relationship with him a "surpassing value" over every other possible pursuit? Sometimes, yes. All the time? No. For that, Lord, forgive me.

PRAYER: Despite how my mind sometimes works, LORD, it's not about being famous, popular, respected among my peers... it's not about having a growing church, a cutting-edge church, a dynamic church... it's not about being financially well-off, self-actualized, secure. When all is said and done, LORD, it's about YOU. It's about being in relationship with You... growing closer to You... deepening my knowledge, love & discipleship with You. Everything else is really rubbish - or at least worht as much, in the eternal perspective. Help me to live that out. AMEN.

No comments: