Friday, September 12, 2008

What Are You Afraid Of?

"For the LORD spoke thus to me, and while his hand was strong upon me, and warned me not to walk in the way of this people, saying: Do not call conspiracy all this people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what it fears, or be in dread. But the LORD of hosts, him you shall regard as holy; let him be your fear and your dread."
(Isaiah 8:12-13)

It's still fairly early in Isaiah, and the prophet is still getting his "marching orders." Here God tells him not to get caught up in the things his people (nation) seems to be caught up in - their conspiracy theories, fears and dreads. "Don't get sucked into that," says God. "Instead, focus on and worry about me! Have a deep respect for me!"

Today, we as a people/nation seem to be worried about things like: the economy (rising oil prices, a possible recession, etc.), the US Presidential election, the ongoing war in Iraq (fight against terrorism), and Hurricane Ike (today, especially!), amongst other issues. In Hawaii: the effect the economy is having on tourism (and thus, the rest of the state!), the proposed mass transit project, and shark attacks! With all of these "pesky problems" and fears, I wonder if we give them too much attention? Sure, they're all very important, and deserve some thoughtfulness & action... but in the process of being afraid & worrying about all of these, have we forgotten about God? Have we misplaced our attention? Have we given God the focus He deserves in our life? Maybe this passage from Isaiah is calling us (me!) back to putting my energy into my relationship with God, and then TOGETHER God will walk us (me!) through the issues I've previously seen as "problems/fears".

PRAYER: "The fear of the LORD" seems like such an antiquated phrase. We don't want to fear You, God. We want to love and be loved by You. But have we lost some of the passion for You? Refocus me. Realign me. Let me not be distracted by placing my energy in something other than You. I know You'll be able to walk me through whatever challenges/struggles/uncertainties may come. AMEN.

No comments: