Tuesday, September 9, 2008

God = Tree

"O Ephraim, what have I to do with idols? It is I who answer and look after you. I am like an evergreen cypress; your faithfulness comes from me."
(Hosea 14:8)


In the final chapter of Hosea, after chastising the (wayward) Israelites throughout the book for their idolatry, God reminds them of this powerful reality: "I look after you - your faithfulness comes from me." Even while the people strayed, God kept watch over them - like a parent who secretly follows their child after s/he vows to "run away from home," watching over from a distance. What really intrigued me, though, was when God compared himself to an evergreen cypress tree. Tall & strong, yes. But also ever-green throughout the year - never changing.

I love trees... through I've never really thought of God as a tree. Trees provide shade, shelter, stability... they prevent erosion... create oxygen... and they're a lot of fun to climb! God is our shade & shelter from the "harsh elements" of this world. He helps keep our lives from "eroding away" in sinfulness. His breath literally gives life. He brings abundance and joy to any relationship. And most of all, he's faithfully stable! "Your faithfulness comes from me," says the LORD. "It's not your doing, but me in you! Why would you stray from my branches?"

PRAYER: Lord, every time I see a tree, help it remind me of you and your faithfulness in my life! Thank you for watching over me, even when I've strayed from you. Your parental love is life-changing. Never let me depart from your branches, O God!!!

No comments: