Thursday, September 4, 2008

Genuinely Concerned

"I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you, soo, so that I may be cheered by news of you. I have no one like him who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare. All of them are seeking their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ."
(Philippians 2:19-21)

While in prison, Paul tells the church in Philippi his desire to send Timothy to them. Why Timothy? Paul gives him an amazing endorsement: "There's no one like him who'll be genuinely concerned for your welfare." Wow. The problem with the others is this: they're more focused on their own interests than God's.

This is a troubling statement. Where do I fall on this spectrum? My "job" is to care for the needs of my faith community - and I like to think I do that. But how much of my day is spent "seeking my own interests?" How much of my HEART desires my own interests, too? I can honestly say that within my family, I genuinely do seek the welfare of Jody, Ezra & Emily above my own. It's something I saw my father model, and something he learned from his father, too. May I also be able to model this as pastor of Aiea UMC.

PRAYER: Lord, You have called me to be "genuinely concerned" for the people of Aiea UMC. Keep me faithful to this task and not to slide into seeking my own interests. Thank you for the witness of my parents, and the opportunity I have to love my own family. AMEN.

No comments: