Thursday, February 5, 2009

Steinbeck, Han Solo & God

"Now to Him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than we all can ask or imagine, to him be glory int he church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen."
(Ephesians 3:20-21)

"The best laid plans of mice and men," the famous quote by Scottish author Robert Burns goes. John Steinbeck turned that one line into an entire book! Another, less storied (but equally profound) quote says, "If you want to see God laugh, tell Him your plans." It's no secret that human plans are often less than fool-proof.

Paul, writing to the church in Ephesus, remarks (in the midst of a mini-benediction) that God is able to accomplish "FAR MORE THAN WE CAN ASK OR IMAGINE" in us! Wow!! I'm reminded of Han Solo in Star Wars, when told by Luke Skywalker that Princess Leia (whom Luke was trying to get Han's help in saving) was rich "beyond what he could imagine," replied, "I don't know... I can imagine quite a bit!" And yet, says Paul, we can't even imagine what plans God has for us and what God can accomplish.

Which starts me thinking: satellite ministry proposal at AUMC - how might God accomplish far more than we're imagining now? or in my marriage? or as a parent (knowing the prayer I have for my kids)? with my upcoming trip to the Philippines? WOW. What does it mean for me to believe that despite my best plans/intentions, that God can accomplish far more!?!? I think it takes a bit of the pressure off me to "perform" at certain levels... and calls me to invest more in the faith department.

PRAYER: Come, Lord Jesus... Accomplish what You will in my life, family & ministry! AMEN.

No comments: