Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Others first!

"We who are strong ought to put up with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Each of us must please our neighbor for the good purpose of building up the neighbor."
(Romans 15:1-2)

Imagine a world where it was normal for someone to think more about someone else, than themselves. Not in a self-depreciating & unhealthy way... but in a putting-others-first, supporting way. Imagine a community where people went out of their way to find how to encourage and build up one another. Where helping someone else grow, develop and mature was more important than personal advancement. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?!?

Paul, writing to the church in Rome, instructs the believers to live like this. Wow! In our best moments, this is how we Christians live out our faith. Unfortunately, there are also many, many moments we don't live like this.

Who can I encourage and build up today? My children & my wife, yes! My co-workers, sure! The two youth I'll go watch play in the state soccer tournament today, yup! The church members I'll visit this afternoon, uh-huh! Someone I don't even know I'll encounter yet today? Sure! How about you?

PRAYER: Lord, make me ready to be a blessing to others today. AMEN!

No comments: