Friday, February 6, 2009

100% Whole

"Happy are those who keep His decrees, who seek Him with their whole heart..."
(Psalm 119:2)

My dad used to tell me "not to do anything halfway." If it's going to be done, do it correctly, he'd say. Psalm 119 begins by applauding those who seek God "with their whole heart." These people don't go halfway in their faith and devotion, but give ALL of their passion to the Lord.
Let's just say up front, this is not a call to extreme religious fanaticism (at least not in my book!). Rather, it's a call to give God our full attention... our time, our energy, our thoughts, our speech, our love. "No duh!" you say? "Everyone knows that!" you say? Maybe. But I doubt we truly comprehend what that means.

OUR WHOLE HEART. Is there anything I give my whole heart to? I'd like to think my marriage and parenting would fit... but I know there are times I'm not 100% "present" in these areas - rather distracted by my own agenda & plans. Forgive me, Lord. You might think I give my whole heart to sports... which might be true at times, but definitely not the majority of my time!

What would it mean to seek God with my whole heart, all the time? I daresay I'd be a better husband, father, friend & pastor if this happened more! Does it mean I have to constantly talk about my faith and read my Bible 24-7? Of course not. But I bet it has something to do with my focus & attention... and something to do with my goals/objectives in relationships... and something to do with how I use my time & money...

Wow... just think...

PRAYER: I want to give you my whole heart, God... 100%... not just a portion or half... but all! Refocus me. Reform me. Reshape me. Recenter me. So I can reflect You in all I say and do. AMEN.

No comments: