Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Profit from Giving

[From Saturday, Feb. 7th]

"For even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me help for my needs more than once. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the profit that accumulates to your account. I have been paid in full and have more than enough..."
(Philippians 4:17-18)

We all know the saying, "It's more blessed to give than to receive." Well, here Paul reinforces that sentiment as he remembers the many times the church in Philippi gave generously to his ministry. "Not that I asked for it," Paul professes... nonetheless, they gave. But here's the cool part - Paul mentions "the profit accumulates to your account," meaning there's an intrinsic value that comes from giving to others!

I remember getting to know a rather "quirky" woman in Hilo when I was pastor. She'd spent time living in Israel, teaching English. She told me how beggars played a crucial role in modern Israelite society. Not because they needed charity (which, in fact, they did)... but because they provided an opportunity for OTHERS to be generous! And God somehow knew the value that comes from us thinking about the immediate needs of others. When we give, our spiritual accounts "accumulate profit." This does not "earn" us any rewards (our God is a God of grace, not merit!)... but we become better people (better humans!) along the way.

PRAYER: Continue to teach me the joy in generosity, Lord! Open my eyes and heart to see opportunities to give all around me. AMEN.

No comments: