Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It's all Good! (aka "Bon Appetite!")

[From Monday, Feb. 9]

"For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected, provided it is received with thanksgiving; for it is sanctified by God's word and by prayer."
(1 Timothy 4:4-5)


Back in the day, one of the controversies the early church had was the consumption of food that had been previously offered as sacrifice to idols. After being presented to idols, merchants would "re-sell" offerings to the public. This became a theological stumbling block to some Christians. If they ate those foods, would they be legitimizing those idols? Would they be subjecting themselves to outside ("demonic"?) influences? Paul said, "Absolutely not!!!" He even reminds Timothy here that as long as food is received with thanksgiving and prayer, it's all good!

Two quick thoughts this morning: 1) Grace before meals is more than just a perfunctory action that "should" be done. Could it be the very act of praying over food serves as a sanctifying blessing (rather than simply God wants to hear to feel like we're appreciative enough)? Could it be that God indeed blesses the food when we pray over it!?!? Literally!!!??? 2) I leave for the Philippines tomorrow for a 1-week mission trip with Compassion International. I'm sure we'll have the chance to eat some rather "exotic" foods. Provided things are prepared in sanitary ways, there's nothing I should consider unclean and not eat (or at least try!)... no matter how "non-traditional" it may seem to my good taste. It's all good, Paul reminds me. Give thanks and ask God's blessing!

PRAYER: Help me to take my prayers before meals more seriously, Lord. Not that I didn't take them seriously before... but let me pray expecting You to simultaneously bless the food we'll be eating! Thank you for all of your blessings, and for providing me with food to eat, whenever I want it. Pour out your compassion on those who are not as fortunate today. AMEN.

No comments: