Friday, February 20, 2009

A Faith As Precious


[From 2-18-09]

"To those who have received a faith as precious as ours through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ: May grace and peace be yours in abundance in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord."
(2 Peter 1:1-2)

I'm still processing my week-long trip to the Philippines. Despite the incredible poverty I saw, the image that remains strongest in my heart and mind is the faith of the children (and young adults) I met. I was thinking about such descriptive words for their faith as: transformational, grounded, essential, vital, pivotal, etc. But as soon as I read today's scripture passage, my heart leapt at the words from 2 Peter 1... "a faith as precious..." THAT'S IT! I saw "a faith as precious" in the faces of so many in the Philippines. A faith in Jesus as the center of their lives.

And so I echo the author's follow-up admonition: "May grace & peace be yours in abundance in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord." In an environment where so many have so little (at least materialistically), it is my sincere prayer that the grace and peace of God be theirs in abundance! And that their precious faith continue to abound.

In fact... it's my same prayer for you, too! AMEN.

No comments: