Friday, December 26, 2008

Shared Ministry

[NOTE: I know it's been a while since I've entered a blog. Sorry. I did two last week, that's it. But didn't even have time to post them. I'm on vacation now & should be VERY REGULAR in updating! Merry Christmas!]

FROM December 19, 2008...

"And the 12 called together the whole community of disciples and said, 'It is not right that we should neglect the word of God in order to wait on tables. Therefore, friends, select from among yourselves 7 men of good standing, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this task, while we, for our part, will devote ourselves to prayer and to serving the word."
(Acts 6:2-4)

The early church was growing rapidly. A small controversy arose in the community: the non-Jewish widows seemed to be neglected in the food distribution (it was a communal living arrangement). The 12 disciples (connected to Jesus) realized they had grown too large to maintain a hands-on approach to everything. Their solution? Set apart seven men who can specialize in this (and other areas of) ministry. Not just anyone, but men of faith, good character and wisdom. That would free up the 12 to focus on teaching, preaching, and prayer.

When I first read this,k I thought the 12 disciples were being a bit snobbish ("We're neglecting the Word to wait on tables!") - like serving wasn't the same as preaching. Clearly, Jesus did both. But as I reflected a bit more, I changed my heart. I see it now as a case of shared ministry. God has gifted each of us with different gifts, passions and abilities. Those who have the gift of service wouldn't grumble about using that gift (on the contrary, they'd be loving it!)... while others, who weren't gifted there, probably would grumble. So the growth crisis in the early church helped them discover the power of shared or diversified ministry takes!

I am grateful for Yvonne who serves as my Pastoral Assistant, taking some of the administrative responsibilities I have as pastor, freeing me up to focus more on preaching & teaching. I still see a need to do more with pastoral care, though. Not necessarily me, personally, but as a church. Nevertheless, I'm sold on the idea of shared ministry.

PRAYER: Lord, thank you for the gifted people you place within a church. Help us to recognize, equip and encourage the different gifts among us in shared ministry. AMEN.

No comments: