Tuesday, December 9, 2008

E-Z-R-A

"For Ezra had set his heart to study the law of the LORD, and to do it, and to teach the statutes and ordinances in Israel."
(Ezra 7:10)

Prior to having our first child, I rarely (if ever) wrote, read, or used the word "Ezra" in a sentence. That changed when we gave our son that name in 1994. Now it's one of my most-used words! So I get especially excited in December when the Bible reading schedule for scripture journaling comes around to the book of the OT character with the same name: EZRA!
Today I read a verse that not only spoke volumes about the biblical character named Ezra, but also became a prayer-focus for me as I raise my son named Ezra. Chapter seven, verse ten says that Ezra "set his heart to study the law of the LORD, and to do it..." Now I'm not suggesting that I want my son to become a biblical scholar, or even a pastor. Like any parent, I want my child to fulfill whatever life-plans God has designed for him. But I do hope and pray that he will set his heart on God, God's truths in scripture, and seek to live it out in his life! (Heck, I want that for me, too!!!)
PRAYER: Thank you, Lord, for Ezra (and Emily, too!). May he always set his heart on You, Your Word, and a relationship with You. Encourage, strengthen, inspire, support, challenge, and bless him. AMEN.

No comments: