Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Psalm one thirty one

[Normally I begin each entry with a scripture verse or two... but this particular psalm is a relatively new favorite of mine, and I want to post it in its entirety!]

"O Lord, my heart is not lifted up,
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
Like a weaned child with its mother.
My soul is like the weaned child that's with me.
O Israel, hope in the LORD
from this time on and forevermore."
(Psalm 131)

I first "discovered" this psalm in seminary, during finals week, as my New Testament professor (Dr. Neil Hamilton) asked us to journal about it. I think it's especially appropriate during the Christmas Season... we tend to get caught up with a huge "TO DO" list and sometimes that becomes quite overwhelming... or life in general overwhelms us... or we let "the worries of this world" get the best of us. This psalm remind us to slow down... center our soul/spirit... and be content to rest in the Lord, putting our hope and trust in Him.

'Tis the season! AMEN.

No comments: