Saturday, October 4, 2008

Parenting Reconsidered

"Manasseh was 12 years old when he began to reign; he reigned 55 years in Jerusalem. He did what was evil in the sight of the LORD."
(2 Chronicles 33:1-2a)

The books of Kings and Chronicles list the line of succession of the monarchs of Israel & Judah. The author introduces the kings by name, age, length of reign, parents, and whether they did good or evil in the sight of God. Here's the bio on Manessah:
  • MANESSAH - 12 years old - 55 year reign
  • Dad: Hezekiah - Mom: Hephzibah
  • Bottom line of reign: Did evil in the sight of God
I know we no longer live in a monarch age, but it still blows my mind that the "keys to the kingdom" could be handed over to a 12 year-old boy. Unfortunately, he wasn't interested in pursuing God's heart. Not only are we told up front that he "did evil," later in verse 9 we're informed that he "misled Judah and its inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that they did more evil than the nations whom the LORD had destroyed before the people of Israel." Wow.

This got me thinking about the role of parents. I understand that the reason he was king is that his father (the former king) had died. So now it's just he and "Mom"... but what about those first 12 years? And Hezekiah was one of the few kings who actually "did what was right in the sight of the LORD" (2 Chronicles 29:2). Was Dad too busy being king that he didn't have/make time to raise his own son?

My children are 10 and 13 years old (almost 11 & 14). If something were to happen to me and I wasn't around anymore, how would they fare? Would they walk in the ways of God? I sure hope and pray so! In fact, that's one of the prayers I pray regularly for them. I also have trust that Jody would continue to be a positive and faith-full influence to them.

The bottom line is, how am I raising my children to be the man & woman of God they were created to be? I think we've got off to a good start, but there's still more opportunity to guide, direct, teach and inspire.

PRAYER: Lord God, thank you for my children! I see such hope, joy, creativity & promise in them (some times more than others!). Guide us as Jody and I seek to be faithful parents. Draw them closer to You, as You draw them into a lifetime relationship. AMEN.

No comments: