Wednesday, October 29, 2008

37 years!

"In the 37th year of the exile of King Jehoiachin of Judah, in the 12th month, on the 25th day of the month, King Evil-merodach of Babylon, in the year he began to reign, showed favor to King Jehoiachin of Judah and brought him out of prison..."
(Jeremiah 52:31)

Exile. Foreign land. Separated from home. It was the reality for many Israelites now living in Babylon, including King Jehoiachin, who had become King after Zedekiah's unfortunate demise (see previous entry: "Surrender?!?"). All Jehoiachin had known was exile: 37 years of it! I'm only 40... and I can't even imagine having been imprisoned for almost the entire length of my life. But that's what the King of Judah faced. Wow.

Then on the 25th day of the 12th month (I know the Jewish calendar is different, but on modern calendar this would be December 25th - Christmas Day!!!), Jechoiachin is released! He's still in Babylon, but the new King, Evil-merodach, bestows honor & favor upon him (which goes to show you can't judge a king by his name!). Jechoiachin is able to dine with the king & live a life of grace - even in captivity!

How does this connect to me? (I'm not exactly sure... I just really liked this passage!) I wonder how frustrated, depressed & discouraged Jechoiachin must have been for those 37 years? I'm sure he didn't feel very "king-like" much of that time. But that changed with a new Babylonian ruler. Which also tells me that no matter how bad things may get, nothing lasts forever. Trust in the Lord to sustain you until things change.

PRAYER: Thirty-seven years, Lord? Wow. That's a long ti'me to me. Of cours, in Your eyes, it's but a moment. I don't know of any deep theological truths from today's reading, except to be reminded to never lose a sense of who You're calling me to be - no matter what the circumstances. (And maybe to be extra-thankful for the GIFT we're given by the 25th day of the 12th month!). AMEN.

No comments: