Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Even the BIG GUNS couldn't do it

"Then the LORD said to me: Though Moses & Samuel stood before me, yet my heart would not turn toward these people."
(Jeremiah 15:1)

If one had to list the "Top 5 Most Influential People in the OT" (not including God, of course), Moses & Samuel would definitely be on that list (along with David & Abraham, for sure... the 5th spot could be debatable!). Here in Jeremiah 15, God says something quite startling: God is so upset, frustrated & disappointed with the people of Israel that even if Moses & Samuel would come before Him and plead for mercy on Israel's behalf, God wouldn't change His mind. Wow! Even the "big guns" couldn't get God to change His heart. What, then would it take? Could it even happen?

My second reading today (1 Peter 2) speaks to this question: "'(Jesus) committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.' When he was abused, he did not return abuse; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he entrusted himself to the one who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed" (v.22-24).

I know today in some theological circles, the "atonement theory" (Jesus' sacrifice = atonement for our sins) is being questioned & debated as being outdated & blood-thirsty. I'm not interested in getting into any debates on this. But it's quite telling, I think, that Jesus did something (through his life, death & resurrection) that no one else in all history could do - reconcile us to God. Talk about having friends in high places!

PRAYER: There are lots of things I'd do for my friends, God. I'm sure you feel the same way. In fact, there are stories in scripture about you changing your mind after one of your friends talked you out of it! And yet, only Jesus was able to bring me back into relaitonship with you. Wow. I know I don't always appreciate that... but thank you. AMEN.

No comments: