Monday, October 20, 2008

In One Ear?

"Stand in the court of the LORD's house, and speak to all the cities of Judah that come to worship in the house of the LORD... it may be that they will listen, all of them, and turn form their evil ways."

The people of Israel have a lousy track record (heck, all people have a lousy track, when it comes right down to it!) - they rarely listen to and/or obey God's commands. Prophet after prophet have come with a message from above. No change. None. God is ready to give the people their consequences... but before He does, He tries once more. Jeremiah is sent to the Temple with a message for change. Why? "It may be that they'll listen... and turn from their evil ways," says God.

God knows human nature. God knows that sometimes (often!?!) we're thick-headed and slow to learn. Nevertheless, God offers us 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. chances to turn our lives around. Whether we listen or not is up to us.

Sometimes I wonder whether my time spent with God each morning reading scripture is actually getting through to me? Can I use what I learn, or is it "in one ear & out the other"? I like to think it's shaping my life... but I need to make sure I'm responding to God's words.

PRAYER: Help me to listen & respond to your words, LORD!

2 comments:

cindycoleman76 said...

Don't you think when God sent Jesus to set us straight He was able to breath a HUGE sigh of relief that He could actually count on someone to truly follow Him! How nice after all those mere mortals that tried and failed:)

Pastor Jim White said...

LOL... so true, Cindy! Well said.