Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Listen up, parents!

[From 2/20/15]

"Jesus said to them, 'Very truly, I tell you, the Son can do nothing on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise.'"
(John 5:19)


The religious leaders never gave Jesus the benefit of the doubt.  They always questioned, challenged, and charged Jesus with impropriety.  Always!  Usually it was after he'd just done something amazing, through God's power, too! 

In John 5, he heals a man who'd been ill for 38 years.  Can you imagine?  38 years!  Healing him wasn't the problem.  The problem was that Jesus did it on the Sabbath.  It thus constituted "work."  So, in the eyes of the leaders, it wasn't a God-moment.  It was a sin.  Then when Jesus refers to God as his Father, they lose it... and they charge him with blasphemy.

Jesus' response is simple: the Son only does what he's seen his Father do!  Period.  God is all about healing, wholeness & restoration.  Get on board with that message, says Jesus.

I know that.  I hear that.  I agree with that.  But Jesus' statement hit me another way.  If the Son (children) only do what they see their Father (and mother!) do, what legacy have we left for our children?  What legacy have I left for my children!?!?!?  That's a question that oughta keep parents up at night.  If my kids can only do what they've seen me (and Jody) do, will they be okay in life?  Will they be faithful?  Will they be kind, loving & compassionate?  Will they be a good example for their (future) children?  Wow.  That's a lot to think about.  As a parent, I better listen up!

No comments: