Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Out-generoused!

[From March 9, 2015]

"Then Abram said to Lot, 'Let there be no strife between you and me, and between your herders and my herders; for we are kindred.  Is not the whole land before you?  Separate yourself from me.  If you take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if you take the right hand, then I will go to the left."
(Genesis 13:8-9)

God has called Abram to go.  "Don't worry about where, just go.  I'll tell you when to stop."  When they eventually did stop, there were problems between his "people" and the "people" of Lot, his nephew.  So Abe gives Lot the choice of lands.  "Make a choice!  I'll take what's leftover," says Abe.

Such a generous offer.  Abram is operating out of an abundance mindset.  There's more than enough for everybody!  So Lot chooses what he thinks will be the "best" land for his livestock.

As soon as Lot & Co. leave, God speaks to Abe.  God tells him that actually, Abe will receive ALL of the land!  Even Lot's "share."  God "out-gave" and "out-generoused" Abram.  That's awesome! (Why Lot lost his land is another story altogether.)  Abe was sincere with his generosity & grace, but God far surpassed that.

Too often we succumb to a "scarcity" mindset.  We hold on and squirrel away what little we have, because we can't imagine abundance.  That's not how God works.   (Praise God!)

No comments: