Monday, December 10, 2012

Perspective

"O LORD, my heart is not lifted up,
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother, 
My soul is like the weaned child that is with me.
O Israel, hope in the LORD form this time on
And forevermore."
(Psalm 131)

I first stumbled upon this Psalm during midterms at seminary.  In the midst of papers, projects, and stress, this was a breath of fresh air.  It brought much needed perspective:
  • Don't get caught up in things beyond what you're currently called to do.
  • Focus on what's at hand... and that alone.
  • Calm & quiet your soul in the Lord.
  • God should be your hope & strength.
Today begins finals week on many high school and college campuses.  Both of my children (and many others across the country) are going through this.  My prayer for them (and all of us) is Psalm 131.  Keep it all in perspective!

No comments: