Monday, December 10, 2012

(In)valuable Advice

[From Oct. 11, 2012]

"But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without a trace of partiality or hypocrisy."
(James 3:17)

Inside information.  Hot tips.  Great advice.  Wisdom.  Kernels of insight.  We all want these, don't we? We buy books, read blogs, ask around, and sometimes even pay for key info.  It's "worth its weight in gold," so to speak.  So my ears pricked up when I read today about "wisdom from above."

James, however, doesn't give specific tips or info... he simply tells us how to RECOGNIZE WISDOM when we see it: it's pure, peaceable, full of mercy & good fruits, without hypocrisy.  Oh yah, one more thing.  It's "willing to yield."  How many times have I failed on that one?  When I know that "I'm right," and I dig my heels in to make sure others know it too?

Maybe "being right" isn't quite as important as "being in relationship" with someone (like your spouse, your children, co-workers, friends, etc.)?  Maybe it's more about the (Holy?) Spirit by which we live out our lives and how we choose to relate to one another that ultimately counts.  That's wisdom from above.

No comments: