Monday, September 21, 2015

I Might Be Wrong

[From Aug. 20, 2015]

"Then Zedekiah son of Chenaanah came up to Micaiah, slapped him on the cheek, and said, 'Which way did the spirit of the LORD pass from me to speak to you?'  Micaiah replied, 'You will find out on that day when you go in to hide in an inner chamber.'"
(1 Kings 22:24-25)

King Ahab had an interesting relationship with the prophets of God.  For much of his reign, he did not follow the ways of the LORD.  Nevertheless, he continued to "consult" his spiritual advisers.  However, when a king is known for imprisoning (or even killing) those who oppose or contradict him, soon very few oppose or contradict.

Enter Micaiah: prophet of God.  Ahab doesn't really like him.  He tells King Jehoshaphat of Judah why: "I hate him; he never prophesies anything favorable about me, but only disaster" (v.8).  Nevertheless, Micaiah was borught before the king (an adviser even told Micaiah to speak an encouraging word this time! lol)  At first he gave the "company answer" to the king: Do whatever seems best to you.  Then Ahab scolded him for not speaking the truth, whereby Micaiah gave a lnog & detailed account of Ahab's impending death.

While I find that interchange interesting, it's the next interchange that captured my spirit today.  Another prophet named Zedekiah took offense when Micaiah said that God put a lying spirit into the mouths of the other prophets.  So he struck Micaiah & sarcastically asked when did God levae him for Micaiah.

To me this is a warning never to get too smug or self-assured as a pastor.  I may have had wonderful moments with God in the past and great experiences leading His church.  But there's a chance I might also be wrong about something I think or believe.  I need to be steadfast in my connection/intimacy with God and never assume that I'm right, based solely on my past history.  Humility necessitates me to always consider there may be NEW INSIGHT and WISDOM from God that I need to learn.

LORD, I want to be in tune with You and Your Holy Spirit.  I also know that I don't have all the answers.  Keep me open to learning from whomever you send to teach me.  AMEN.

No comments: