Monday, September 28, 2015

Cries & Sighs...

[From 9/24/15]

"Before Isaiah had gone out of the middle court, the word of the Lord came to him: 'Turn back, and say to Hezekiah prince of my people, Thus says the LORD, the God of your ancestor David: I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; indeed, I will heal you...'"
(2 Kings 20:4-5a)

King Hezekiah, who had carried out such great spiritual reform in Israel, became sick to the point of death.  The prophet Isaiah came to see him & told him he'd soon die.  The King prayed for healing & wept while Isaiah was leaving.  But God gave a NEW word to Isaiah: the King would live another 15 years!  God had heard his prayer & seen his tears.

Many of us believe in the power of prayer.  This passage reinforces that belief.  But I love that God acknowledges seeing Hezekiah's tears.  It's not the first time in scripture.  I can immediately think of Hagar's tears in the wilderness that God heard (& Ishmael's, too!). 

God hears our prayers, yes.  But He also sees our suffering.  He hears our cries & sighs of sorrow.  God cares.  God loves.  God can heal.  We don't know why God doesn't heal everybody, but it's still comforting to me to know that God can.  May I, too, see the tears of those around me.  And may it move me like it moves God.

No comments: