Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Garage Sale Sorting

[From 5-18-15]

"You will be enriched in every way for your great generosity, which will produce thanksgiving to God through us."
(2 Corinthians 9:11)

This Saturday we're having a garage sale.  After 15 years of living in the same place, we need to get rid of a fair amount of "stuff" we're no longer actively using (and thus, it has been collecting dust in some corner of some room in our house for years!).  

As I'm getting ready for Saturday, I'm going through items one by one.  Some things bring to mind a particular person that I'd like to give it to: certain books, poker chips, our soccer tent, etc.  My first reaction is to give it away.  But then greed creeps in and I contemplate how much it could fetch if I put it up for sale at the garage sale on Saturday?!?!

In the end, I think I'll give much of it away to friends, after all.  People have been SO GENEROUS to us over the years.  It's such a joy to bless people with something they'll use and appreciate.  

Paul reminds us of this truth in his 2nd letter to the church in Corinth.  They'd pledged to give money to help the "home church" in Jerusalem.  He's now reminding them of the blessings that come from living lives of generosity.  May I keep learning from that.

No comments: