Thursday, May 7, 2015

Long enough.

"The LORD our God spoke to us at Horeb, saying, 'You have stayed long enough at this mountain.  Resume your journey...'"
(Deuteronomy 1:6-7a)

15 years is a long time.  I've never lived in one place longer than I've lived here in Aiea.  So much goodness has taken place here.  My children have grown up here (Ezra from 1st grade though high school; Emily from preschool through high school).  I've grown as a pastor, follower of Jesus, husband, father, and friend.  I've rediscovered the power of Scripture to speak into my life.  My marriage has grown.  I've developed hobbies (painting & photography) that will carry me through my life.  It's been an amazing 15 years.  And this chapter now comes to a close on June 30.

Moses led the Hebrew people out of slavery in Egypt, through the Red Sea, and into the Wilderness.  It was both amazing and frustrating at the same time.  God's presence & power was amazing!  The peoples' grumbling and dissatisfaction with the lack of "amenities" was frustrating.

Then they hit Mount Horeb.  The place where God spoke to them.  They experienced God's voice and presence in a real & powerful way.  They received "the Law" (including the 10 Commandments).  Sure, there was that unfortunate golden-calf incident, but for the most part this was an oasis to them in a sea of uncertainty.  And now it's time to go.

"You have stayed long enough on this mountain," God says.  Long enough.  What needed to happen has happened.  Rest and rejuvenation has taken place.  A strong foundation has been laid.  Now it's time to "resume your journey."

I was very surprised when my DS called to say I should expect another DS's call.  I knew that meant I was moving.  Out of Hawaii.  It was a difficult prospect to imagine I'd have to "leave the mountain" of Aiea (and Hawaii, for that matter).  I have stayed long enough.  I have given and received what God intended for me.  I have grown and been stretched.  I have loved, and loved, and loved... and cried with a community of faith, as situations arose.

I will not leave this mountain the same as how I came.  I am a completely different (renewed!) person.  Praise God!

It's time to resume my journey.

1 comment:

Kimberly O said...

As we face yet another move ourselves, you words spoke powerfully to me. I don't want to be a grumbler; I want to recognize what God has given me and take it with me on the next stage of our journey. Thanks for the reminder of why we count our blessings as we move. And may you and Jody have many blessings to count as well! Hopefully we'll see you in CA.