Tuesday, September 23, 2014

On second thought...

"But avoid stupid controversies, genealogies, dissensions, & quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless."
(Titus 3:9)

I remember having a discussion in seminary about orthodoxy (right beliefs) vs. praxis (right practices).  Is it more important to believe correct doctrine... or live your life in the right way?  Of course, the easy way out is to say, "BOTH!"  But often that doesn't seem to happen.

I know a fair amount of fellow believers (both pastors and laity) who seem to go out of their way to engage in theological debates and disputes.  They relish in sharing their "orthodox beliefs" with all around them.  I tend to cringe at that prospect.  It's not that I'm afraid to say what I believe... maybe I'm just a cynic.  I tend to think that most of us have already made up our minds about most of what we believe, and arguing really don't make that much of a difference.  Few people seem to come to the faith through argument & debate.

On the other hand, I seek to put great stock in how I live out my beliefs (my praxis!).  Following Jesus' example of loving others... offering grace & forgiveness... and giving myself away to those in need... I have no problems putting a TON of energy into these endeavors.  Methodist founder, John Wesley, once said: "In the essentials (and he meant God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit & the Bible), unity.  In the non-essentials (which is everything else, including most doctrinal debates), liberty.  And in everything, charity (love)."  I agree.  How we treat one another & live out our lives makes all the difference to me. So the author of Titus' advice rings true: "avoid stupid controversies, genealogies, dissensions, & quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless."

No comments: