Friday, September 19, 2014

Mom

[NOTE: I've been continuing to journal, but have been VERY REMISS in updating this blog. So instead of waiting to catch up on the numerous blog entries... I'm going to start sharing what I've been writing most recently.]

{from Sept. 18, 2014}

"I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in you grandmother Lois, and your mother Eunice, and now, I'm sure, lives in you."
(2 Timothy 1:5)

My mom died on Sept. 6 this year.  I had the privilege of being with her for the final 5 days or so.  It was an amazing journey to walk through with her.  Cancer had ravaged her body, but not her mind or spirit.  She was in a LOT of pain when I first arrived (late Tuesday, Sept. 2), but once we made it to Hospice (Friday, Sept.5), that was all taken care of.  She died very peacefully... surrounded by me, my dad, and my brother, Andy, in her room.  We were watching my son Ezra's college soccer game online - cheering, laughing, talking & including her in the conversation (though by that point she couldn't respond as she was sleeping constantly).  She slipped away at halftime (at least that's when we first noticed).

Today is my first day back in Hawaii after being away for 18 days.  The scripture journaling passage today included Isaiah 25 (the Heavenly banquet when death will be no more) and 2 Timothy1, where Paul reminds Timothy of the strong faith of his mother (Eunice) and his grandmother (Lois).  How appropriate.  

Women have long been a primary means of passing down the faith in families (and congregations).  Mine was no exception.  Both my birth mom (Sylvia) and my 2nd mom (Pat) had a strong & dynamic faith.  It has shaped who I am today, I know without a doubt.

Praise God for them both.

No comments: