Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Father's Prayer

"For this reason, since the day we heard it, we have not ceased praying for you and asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of God's will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you may lead lives worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, as you bear fruit in every good work and as you grow in the knowledge of God."
(Colossians 1:9-10)

My son is a senior in high school.  He's in the process of deciding on which college to attend for the next 4 years of his life.  He's a soccer player and is being recruited by 10 schools right now.  I'm helping him along the process, but ultimately it will be his decision.  One of my regular prayers is that God will help him choose the best school for his future - not only in terms of the soccer program, but the larger "life picture" as well. 

As I was reading the book of Colossians this morning, I was reminded of an ever greater prayer that I could be praying for him (and for my daughter, too).  It's a prayer that Paul prayed for the church in Colossae... he was their spiritual Father.  But it seems to be equally relevant for a young man soon to leave home for the first time.  The prayer is that he may come to know God's will for his life, having spiritual wisdom & understanding, and lead a life that honors God and is a blessing to others.  Ultimately these qualities will lead to a very fulfilling life.  May it be my prayer for him (them!).  AMEN.

No comments: