Monday, December 6, 2010

A (Worthless) Pastor

[FROM 12/3/10]

"For I am now raising up in the land a shepherd who does not care for the perishing, or seek the wandering, or heal the maimed, or nourish the healthy, but devours the flesh of the fat ones, tearing off even their hoofs.  Oh my worthless shepherd..."
(Zechariah 11:16-17a)


God is upset.  Big time!  Not only have the people let Him down (which happens ALL the time throughout history!), but the very leaders He's chosen to shepherd the people have let him down.  They've changed their description from a "good shepherd" to that of a "WORTHLESS SHEPHERD."

They do NOT:
  • Care for the perishing...
  • Seek the wandering...
  • Heal the maimed...
  • Nourish the healthy...
To me this seems like a pretty good job description of what a PASTOR should be about (these 4 jobs).  And yet, I wonder... how active am I in each of these areas?

God help me avoid being a worthless shepherd...

No comments: