Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"Awake, my soul!"

"Awake, my soul!"
(Psalm 108:1)

I've become a big fan of MUMFORD & SONS recently.  This group from the UK has a very compelling sound... but with even more compelling lyrics!  Their project, "Sigh No More" is an amazing album.  One of the songs on that recording is called "AWAKE MY SOUL." 

The song starts rather choppy & syncopated, reflecting the inner condition of a person who is troubled, conflicted & uneasy.  The chorus changes, however. It's grand, sweeping & uplifting.  "Awake, my soul!  Awake, my soul!  Awake, my soul!  You were made to meet your maker.  You were made to meet your maker."

Usually we think of the phrase "meeting your maker" as an expression of death.  But I see it in this song as an expression of LIFE!  We were made to be alive... to life, love, and to God!  Too often we're content to "get by" or "cruise" through life... sort of like autopilot.  We need to be reminded that our souls need to be awakened.

So when I read Psalm 108 today in my devotions, these three simple words wrapped their hands around my heart: 'AWAKE MY SOUL!'  I need to hear that.  I'm guessing you might, too.

There's one other line from Mumford & Sons' song that I wanted to share.  "In these bodies we live, in these bodies we die / Where you invest your love, you invest your life."  May we invest in the One who Created, Redeemed, and Sustains us!  Awake, my soul!!!  AMEN.

No comments: