Saturday, January 17, 2009

What smells?

"But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads in every place the fragrance that comes form knowing him. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life."
(2 Corinthians 2:14-16)

Paul uses a very interesting image to describe his presence among the people - a fragrance! My study notes say that when an emperor returned from a conquest triumphant, there would be a lot of incense burned as they walked in procession. But among Christians, Paul writes, WE are God's incense! God's fragrance! We are what other "smell" when it comes to God!

Feeling like you need to shower about now? Or put on a little bit more deodorant or perfume? No worries, says Paul, we are "the aroma of Christ to God" to the world. Wow! To those "along the way," like we are - seeking to follow Jesus, then our aroma is life-giving & sweet! To others, however, we smell like "death."

That troubled me a bit. I want to be "sweet-smelling" to everyone, whether they're a believer or not. But that's not how Paul puts it. No. We smell like death to those who are dying. Why? Maybe they can't smell sweetness at this point in their lives? Maybe they need the stench of death to shake them out of the rut they've come to live in? Maybe they need a scent so jarring that it cannot go unnoticed. (Like whenever a rat dies somewhere in my garage & I can smell it, but don't know where the smell is coming from! So I search & search until I find the source of the stink and dispose of the dead animal - because the smell is driving me crazy!). Whatever God needs to bring people back into relationship with him, I guess.

PRAYER: What smell am I giving off, Lord? I want my "scent" to be used by you for the good of the kingdom. Keep me close so I become the "aroma" you need me to be. AMEN.

No comments: