Monday, January 26, 2009

Inner Circle

"Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter & James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves."
(Matthew 17:1)

This is the start of one of the more "high profile" stories from Jesus' ministry: his transfiguration. But what piqued my curiosity/interest today wasn't the event itself (nor the "theological implications" of it, either). No, it was the opening scenario. Jesus knew something significant was about to transpire. So he took a few of his closest friends with him to experience it together: Peter & James (and James' brother, John... which leads me to think the first two were the closest to Jesus, while John became the "tag-a-long" guy, though this is simply speculation on my part).

So I started asking myself: Who are my "Transfiguration Friends"? Who are the 2 or 3 "inner circle" people that I include in my significant life events? I'd venture that many folks have numerous "friendly acquaintances"... but do we have a core of 2 or 3 really good friends that we are intentionally sharing our lives with? (Or maybe this is just a guy thing, since women seen to develop deeper friendships than us?!?) This is something I've been aware of for a while. Aside from Jody, I have to be very intentional to share myself with a few others. It takes work... and I'm a bit concerned about it. Not concerned that I have to work at it, but that I have to work to get 2 or 3 really close friends! I guess my personality is such that it's easy for me to move through life with many "friendly relationships." But I know I need to cultivate deeper relationships - consistently!

How about you?

PRAYER: Thank you, Lord, for the relationships in my life... especially those who might be considered part of my "inner circle." Compel me to invest the time and emotional energy into those (and other!) friendships. AMEN.

1 comment:

cindycoleman76 said...

Who are my transfiguration friends?? Great question! Something to really think about...