Thursday, August 28, 2008

Up From the Throne

"When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, removed his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes."
(Jonah 3:6)



Jonah reluctantly gives his message (of doom!) to the wicked city of Nineveh... and "surprise!" the people believe God and repent. Not only that, but the king himself joins in the effort. For some reason, the fact that he "rose from his throne" struck me. He had to get up off his seat of authority... his place of power and privilege. Couple that with removing his royal robe, and this is a true act of humility.

What "thrones" do we enjoy sitting on? For me, the throne of "pastor" at times is a "high and exalted one." I walk the line between just being me, and being THE PASTOR. I'm at my best when I'm me, the pastor, not me, THE PASTOR. I've been called to serve this congregation with grace. I must not get caught up in titles & positions, but rather lead with humility. I also have a throne as "father." I need to be willing to get off my throne, step down from my position of authority, and be humble before my children (and my wife). There are no awards for sitting on the throne the longest!

Prayer: Lord, continue to teach me humility. Help me model it for my family and my church in Aiea. Help me be willing to get up from the thrones that follow me, so I can be real before You. May I never abuse the authority entrusted to me. AMEN.

1 comment:

joscelyne cutchens said...

I am so glad that you have decided to start blogging you scripture journaling. I find your insight interesting. We also appreciate your sense of humor. :)