Friday, August 29, 2008

Not really a financial decision

"The man of God answered, 'The LORD is able to give you much more than this.'"
(2 Chronicles 25:9b)


King Amaziah of the Southern Kingdom of Judah assembled the troops and found he had 300,000 competent & capable soldiers. But he also went out and hired 100,000 more soldiers from the Northern Kingdom of Israel. He paid them 100 talents of silver - equivalent to more then 7,550 pounds of silver! However, a prophet told him God didn't want the Israelite soldiers fighting as part of Judah's army. In fact, if they do, Judah would lose their next battle. Amaziah's single concern was: "But I've already paid them!!!" The prophet replied, "The LORD is able to give you much more than this."

Money & finances are always a key factor in so many decisions we make. Especially in a period of economic strain like we're in today, it's easy to identify with King Amaziah's concern. No one likes to "waste" resources - from kings to cabbies. But this is a reminder to me that previously expended finances should not be the 'trump card' in all decision in life. God may choose to speak a word of change - to move us in a new direction. Will I be able to choose to follow like Amaziah did?

PRAYER: Lord, I want to be led by Your Spirit, and not by my bank account. Help me to trust that You can provide for all my needs. AMEN.

No comments: