Sunday, August 31, 2008

Desiring Recognition

"...Bring your sacrifices every morning, your tithes every three days; bring a thank offering of leavened bread, and proclaim freewill offerings, publish them; for so you love to do, O people of Israel!" says the Lord God.
(Amos 4:4b-5)


The prophet Amos is "having words" for the people of Israel - namely, how they've distanced themselves from God. Here he speaks about their worship & offerings. The people had many rituals & worship services... complete with numerous offerings. Surely that's pleasing to God, right? Um, no! God even knows how much they like to publish the collection amounts!

Before I condemn these "sinful Israelites," I have to look at myself in the mirror. I may not be too showy when it comes to worship or giving offerings... but I have to admit that I like to have my "good deeds" published. Not literally, of course... but emotionally. Sometimes when I do some things around the house to help, if Jody (my wife) doesn't mention it when she gets home, I feel the need to point it out to her, and ask what she thinks. Why? Becuase I like the recognition for a "job well done." But maybe God desires that I do things without recognition & reward. Maybe I could nurture a giving & generous spirit without it needing to be noticed? (wouldn't that be cool?!)

Prayer: Let it be so, Lord. Let it be so. AMEN.

No comments: