Monday, February 1, 2016

Let it go.

[From January 25, 2016]

"Then the disciples approached and said to him, 'Do you know that the Pharisees took offense when they heard what you said?'  Jesus answered, 'Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted.  Let them alone; they are the blind guides of the blind...'"
(Matthew 15:12-14a)

The religious leaders and Jesus often didn't get along.  Usually, it was because of something Jesus said that offended them.  They also would try to trip Jesus up with questions and rhetoric, but usually he rebuffed their attempts to discredit them.  Which made them even more upset.

One time, Jesus' disciples noticed this exchange, and told Jesus how offended the religious leaders were.  I can relate.  I was raised to be polite and respectful of others.  I tend to avoid direct confrontations with people who I have a difference of opinion.  But Jesus wasn't worried.  He told the disciples to leave them alone.  "Every plant my heavenly Father hasn't planted will be uprooted."

That's really wise advice.  Don't kowtow to the feelings and opinions of those in power.  Don't worry about offending when speaking the truth.  If it's not of God, it won't last... it won't be of eternal value.  AND YET... I must be careful that I'm being "planted by God," so I won't be uprooted, myself!  I can't assume that just because I'm a pastor (or even a Christian) that all of my actions/thoughts/feelings are of God.  May God help prune from me that which is not planted by him!

No comments: