Friday, November 6, 2015

Do not "argue" the faith

[From Oct. 16, 2015]

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence."
(1 Peter 3:15b-16)


It's been said that no one has ever come to the faith (ie. become a Christian) because of an argument.  Within some Christian communities, apologetics is very popular: being able to argue for and defend the faith.  That's never really been my passion.  I actually shy away from engaging in "theological and religious debates."

But the author of 1 Peter calls us to be ready to share with anyone why we have hope in Christ.  That seems reasonable.  The author doesn't encourage folks to seek out potential converts (or combatants)... but rather to simply be ready to share, should you be asked.  "Yet do it with gentleness and reverence."  Don't hit people over the head with your theology.  Don't speak judgment and condemnation to those who aren't "of the same mind."  Gently share why Jesus is your hope and salvation.

I probably can do more when it comes to sharing my faith (hope!) outside of church contexts.  Help me, God, overcome my hesitation by being eager to share my hope in you, whenever asked.  And may I continue to do so with gentleness and reverence.

No comments: