Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The benefits of staying awake

[From 8/11/15]

"Now Peter & his companions were weighed down with sleep; but since they had stayed awake, they saw his glory and the 2 men who stood with him."
(Luke 9:32)

Jesus takes his 3 closest disciples (friends!) up on the mountain to pray.  Evidently they were praying a long time so they got sleepy (or maybe they get sleepy when praying, like I do!?!).  That happens, right?  That's completely understandable.  However, that's not where the story ends.  They don't take a nap & call it a day.  No.  Luke tells us "but since they had stayed awake..."  They fought through the sleepiness.  And as a result, they saw Jesus' transformation (along with Moses & Elijah!).

I know about sleeping during prayer times.  I also know about fighting to try and stay awake - especially driving long distances (like coming back home to Palmdale from being "down below").  Sometimes we are indeed "weighed down with sleep," but it's not a good time to be sleeping (like when we're supposed to be driving!).  The easy response is to go with it and sleep - but we might miss something God has for us.  

I don't want to sleep through "God moments" here at Palmdale.  I want to be open, alert, and attentive to the movement of God.  How do I do that?  Well, for starters, get sleep when I'm supposed to be sleeping, so I can stay alert when I need to be alert!  That will account for physical sleepiness.  What about spiritual sleepiness?  I know that I need to make the effort to do my personal devotional times each day, so I can be alert to what God might be saying to me through the Scriptures (and throughout my day).

PRAYER: Help me make YOU a part of every day of my life, LORD... so I don't miss a moment of what you have for me.  AMEN.

No comments: