Monday, August 3, 2015

Don't hit snooze!

"Do not love sleep, or else you will come to poverty; open your eyes, and you will have plenty of bread."
(Proverbs 20:13)

I just got a new app for my iPhone. It's called "SLEEP SCIENCE."  It not only measures how much deep sleep I get each night, but analyzes my sleep cycles and will wake me up within 30 minutes of when I want to get up, according to the best time in my cycle.  So far, after only 3 days (or nights!), it's interesting... though I'm not sure of it's effects yet.

Sleep is essential to health & life.  Too often people say they need more sleep... or they're tired all the time... or they had a rough night's sleep... etc.  Sometimes we go & go and neglect getting the proverbial "good night's sleep."  But then there are times we choose to sleep more than we may need to (just because it feels so good!).

Proverbs 20:13 says, "Do not love sleep, or else you will come to poverty."  I believe this comes out of a time when hard work & determination were seen as a necessity for survival.  Get up early and put in an honest day's work, and you'll be okay.  Today, however, people are able to make a living by a variety of means (and though a variety of hours)... so it may not be as relevant.  However, it got me thinking...

Almost 3 years ago I made a major change in my daily routine.  I realized I needed to be reading more (especially for my role as a pastor & leader).  So I decided to get up at 6am (instead of 7am) to do professional reading.  Which also meant that I needed to get to bed between 10-11pm each night (and I often would stay up much later, usually watching movies from Netflix!).  Although at times this has been challenging, it's also paid off huge dividends.  I've gotten so many books read, and have grown as a leader and pastor because of it.

So look at your sleeping patterns.  Might you be able to alter them in order to accomplish something more?!?

No comments: