Tuesday, July 21, 2015

New Frontiers

[From 7-7-15]

"So Abram went, as the LORD had told him..." 
(Genesis 12:4a)

At age 75, God calls Abram to leave what's familiar... to leave "home" and go someplace new.  He doesn't question, argue, whine, lament, grieve, or otherwise protest one bit.  HE. JUST. GOES.  Why? Because God told him to.  Period.

I've lived in Hawaii since 1983.  Subtracting 4 years of seminary, that's 28 years of living in the same state.  I've been at Aiea UMC for the past 15 years.  I've never lived longer any other place in my 47 years of life.  I felt God's call to ministry in Hawaii.  I first joined the UMC in Hawaii.  My entire ministry career thus far has been in the islands.  So when God called me to come to Palmdale (through the voices of Tom Choi, Cedric Bridgeforth & Bishop Minerva Carcano), it was a BIG change.  

In previous moves (inter-island), I questioned & wrestled & struggled with the timing of it all.  Each move I felt like I still had leadership to give and things to do in ministry.  In some ways, I still did at Aiea, too.  But I chose to go.  Without drama.  Without questioning.  Without complaint.  I'm trusting God and excited about where this is going!

Thank you, LORD, for leading.  Thank you for the call.  Thank you for Palmdale and this staff I get to be in ministry together with.  Thank you for what you will do through ALL of this!  AMEN.

No comments: