Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Don't get ahead of myself...

[From 7-14-15]

"I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me..."
(Psalm 131:1b)

If David wrote this psalm, I wonder if it was penned when he became King of Israel?  Or after ascending to the ranks of Army commander in Israel?  Or on the run when Saul wanted him killed?  Whatever time in his life, he recognized the need for humility, simplicity, and contentment.  To rest in the presence of God - God who supplies all his needs.  All he had to do was that which God has called him to.  Nothing more.

I've come to a large & vibrant church here in Palmdale.  There are many activities & opportunities for ministry.  There's also a great legacy Pastor Jim Powell has left. Big shoes to fill.  This psalm reminds me that God doesn't ask me to step into Jim Powell's shoes.  God asks me to wear the shoes he's given me.  Not to worry about where this church is heading 5 or 10 years down the road.  For now, just be content with leading one day at a time... with the gifts & graces he's already given me.

Thank you, God, for this opportunity of ministry.  Thank yo for the staff & laity that are committed to being partners in ministry here.  Help me not to get ahead of myself.  Help me to start each day with you and your vision for me.  AMEN.

No comments: