Wednesday, June 3, 2015

4-Fold Benediction

[From 5/22/15]

"Finally, brothers and sisters, farewell.  Put things in order, listen to my appeal, agree with one another, live in peace, and the God of Love & Peace will be with you."
(2 Corinthians 13:11)

As Paul wraps up his 2nd letter to the church in Corinth, he leaves them with a final set of admonitions.  Four requests:
  1. Put things in order... (aka "get your stuff together!")  Do what you know you need to be doing.  Reconcile relationships.  Correct your behavior.  Change your actions.  Do right by God & others.
  2. Listen to my appeal... (aka "encourage one another")  Follow the words of this letter. Quit bickering.  Be one.  United!  Encourage & build up, don't tear each other down.
  3. Agree with one another... It's all about unity.  Support.  Being one body together.  Agree.  Don't fight & argue.  Seriously.
  4. Live in peace... Peace in your life & heart & mind & spirit.  Be an agent of peace.  Smooth out broken & troubled relationships.
As I wrap up my 15 years of ministry at Aiea UMC, these words work for both instructions and as a legacy for me.  I've worked to mend relationships with Aiea Korean UMC.  I've tried to help people live together with peace & encouragement.  I've sought to help the community here at Aiea UMC have a discipleship plan and strategy for faithfulness.  Have I always got it right?  Of course not.  So forgive me when I've missed the mark.  But for the most part, I'd be content with this legacy if it could be said about me!

No comments: