Wednesday, July 3, 2013

It all starts with...

[from May 13, 2013]

"Therefore, since it is by God's mercy that we are engaged in this ministry, we do not lose heart."
(2 Corinthians 4:1)

Being a pastor is a job, yes.  It's my chosen profession, of course.  One that I hope will last a lifetime.  But Paul reminds me in 2 Cor. 4:1 that it's all possible because of God's mercy.

God called me to the work of a pastor.  God equipped me with the gifts and graces to carry out that calling.  God's love & mercy sustains me in the ongoing quest to be faithful in this endeavor.

At times it's easy to forget that.  I get caught up in both the routine of ministry (the weekly rhythms of pastoral life - not the unexpected surprises that are always mixed in), and the confidence of knowing I'm doing my best to fulfill those rhythms.  But it's not about me.  It's about God's mercy that goes before me, preparing my way.

"SO DON'T LOSE HEART," writes Paul.  Keep on keeping on.  Though the highs and lows... through the exciting & the mundane... through the blessings and the challenges.  God's mercy & grace are sufficient.  (Really & truly!)


No comments: