Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Gaius

[From 2/27/13]

"The elder to the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth."
(3 John 1)

Most days, when I'm Scripture Journaling, a passage sparks my imagination or spirit because of an idea or teaching. Today, however, it's all about a name: GAIUS.

There's only 1 person I've ever known with that name.  He was my campus minister in college.  Gaius Thede was a UMC pastor, who served the LORD by hanging out with college students.  Gaius looked like Abraham Lincoln, had Lincoln lived into his 60's.  He was full of vim & vigor, grace & understanding, passion & power, and a darn good sense of humor.  He loved God, and was willing to allow space in his faith for new revelation.  In other words, though he was a brilliant theologian, he never came across as a know-it-all.

Though no longer with us in this life, his legacy continues to live on in so many of the college students like myself who were blessed to have known Gaius.  I can echo the words of the writer of 3 John... he is "the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth."  Amen.

 

No comments: